Author Topic: Deleting portions of lines & other elements  (Read 9976 times)

yarnexpress

• Starting Stitcher
    • View Profile
Deleting portions of lines & other elements
« on: 31 May 2009, 04:24:28 »
Hi,
I'm drafting a Mariner's Compass with 16 points. I started by creating the center lines of each spoke. I set snap to angle to 22.5 degrees. I'm working on 1 quarter of the complete block. I then drew a quarter circle where all the spokes will end. I then drew 2 more concentric quarter circles, these I want to be temporary, to indicate where the spokes meet. I then drew the outlines of the spokes from the original center lines to the appropriate concentric circle.

My block looks great & was very easy to do but I need to remove some of the circles I used for placement & portions of my original spokes to create a layered look & correct templates.

How do I do this? Or am I approaching drafting this design wrong? I could set the angle to 11.25 degrees & draw 32 spokes (or 8 for my quarter block) I would then no longer need those placement circles but I still have the issue with erasing parts of the lines.

Thanks!

Doris

yarnexpress

• Starting Stitcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deleting portions of lines & other elements
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2009, 05:50:01 »
Never mind! I was trying to right click in edit mode. I also realized that I don't need those concentric placement circles at all. Oh, well! Learning to draft a Mariner's Compass on my own. You've made it easy!

Arnout

• Administrator
  • Perfect Piecer
    • View Profile
Re: Deleting portions of lines & other elements
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2009, 13:28:32 »
Hi Doris,

Glad to hear you found your own way. I don't think the concentric circles were a bad idea, though there are probably many ways to draw a Mariner's Compass. A lot of symmetry in there, so a great block to try all the different symmetry tools on to speed things up (or to make a mess really quickly if you're not careful  :) ).
I did one with 20 points many years ago, before I wrote this program, but I'm sure no mariner would want to use that for a compass...

Arnout